The difference between Ceres and Virgo is that Virgo relates to capabilities rather than to the behaviors of Ceres. Virgo, being the sign rather than the planet, is the stage that the actress, Ceres, performs on. Therefore, Virgo is all the things Ceres is capable of doing, being, and applying in life. Virgo is the people, the personality, and the way of being.
Ceres is the energy, the urge, the impulse.
She is the engineer, making sure things run smoothly. Ceres knows how to focus on the issue, and where others might just put on a temporary bandaid on the problem, she will analyze, regulate, and create order out of chaos. Ceres cleanses and maintains the environment. If things run off course, she can repair it until it functions properly again.
Workaholic-ism, hypercriticism, and OSC qualities (NOT the official disorder, just the nitpicky traits 😉 ) are common hard aspect traits. The most negative can include hypochondriac tendencies. (Which is ironic since Virgo is the healthiest sign within the Zodiac)
Ceres is the energy that gives you the ability to fulfill requirements of Virgo – to analyze.
Let Ceres function.
Let it repair.
Let it heal.
Let Mercury work with Ceres to boost the mental analysis power of Virgo.
I use Ceres as ruler of Virgo because:
- Ceres was the first asteroid discovered so theoretically there “should” have been a planet between Mars and Jupiter where the asteroid belt lies. In 2006, Ceres was upgraded by the International Astronomical Union as a dwarf planet, although NASA and most textbooks still refer to it as an “asteroid”.
- It is remarkable that the first (and largest) asteroid to be discovered and named should have the same name as the goddess represented in the constellation Virgo.
- I have found it to be remarkable accurate in chart work.
- Ceres was the first asteroid to be discovered. It was discovered by Giuseppe Piazzi in January 1801.
- Ceres is the largest object in the asteroid belt.
- Ceres is the first and only asteroid promoted to dwarf planet status. This occurred in 2006 when the International Astronomical Union voted to add this category as a consequence of reaching a final determination as to the planetary status of Pluto.
As a Virgo, I wanted to write a special entry for Ceres. She is most often described only in her mythological form – Mother Goddess of the Earth who was seduced by Zeus and the mother of Persephone.
Her daughter Persephone was abducted by Hades to be his wife in the underworld. In her anger at her daughter’s loss, Ceres placed a curse on the world that caused plants to wither and die, and the land to become desolate. Zeus, alarmed for the barren earth, sought for Persephone‘s return. However, because she had eaten while in the underworld, Hades had a claim on her. Therefore, it was decreed that Persephone would spend four months each year in the underworld. During these months Ceres would grieve for her daughter’s absence, withdrawing her gifts from the world, creating winter. Her return brought the spring.
Ceres, however, is much more than these mythological tales. She is the power in all of us to fulfill an achievement the way it should be done. Ceres allows us to have organic, fluid integrity. It’s not the glamor of Leo’s Sun nor the intensity of Scorpio’s Pluto, but you can count on Ceres like no other energy.
Peace and light,
…and most importantly, my aunt, teacher and astrology mentor, Suzanna Cole. ❤